Hi! My name is Ian Yan, and I am a composer-storyteller and arranger from Hong Kong, based in New York City. I just graduated from Columbia University in the City of New York, where I was a double major in Music and English Literature.
I was the composer, music director, orchestrator, music producer and mixer for the 126th Annual Varsity Show (2020-21), a full length, student written musical satirising student life at Columbia. I am also a music director for the Columbia Musical Theatre Society and the Columbia Pops Orchestra; for the latter I have created numerous orchestral arrangements of cinematic music.
Most recently, my original musical Re-Orient, for which I wrote book, music, and lyrics, made it through to the final round of the Eugene O’Neill Theater Center’s NMTC (National Musical Theater Conference) 2022 Season.
I love all forms of musical storytelling, and work as a freelance composer for media such as film, TV, video games, dance, and podcasts. I am also a jazz pianist/keyboardist.
Lastly, as a proud member of the MUSE (Musicians United for Social Equity) One-on-One program, I have the privilege of being personally mentored by Tom Kitt (Next to Normal, Flying Over Sunset).
- NYC/Tri-State Area
- Other Countries
Interested in touring?
- Theatrical Composer (Music and Lyrics)
- Theatrical Composer (Music only)
- Music Director/Conductor (Pianist)
- Music Director/Conductor (Not Pianist)
- Vocal Director and/or Choral Prep
- Music Assistant
- Vocal Arranger
- Dance Arranger
- Incidental Music Composer/Arranger
- Music Copyist
- Music Transcriber
- Pit Musician (Keyboards)
- Music Contractor/Coordinator
- Keyboard Programmer
- Sound Designer/Composer
- Recording Studio Engineer
- Home Studio Whiz
- Class/Voice Lesson/Rehearsal Pianist
- Classroom music teacher at an educational institution
- Synth - keyboards