Anthony Marques Smith
Formally educated in flute, piano, vocal, and percussion performance, Anthony has won several regional and national competitions on each of his instruments, and has had the privilege of studying with and participating in masterclasses led by some of the the top artists in the world.
An active proponent of new music, Anthony has been involved in the world premieres of several new musicals and operas, most recently “Atlantis” by Matthew Lee Robinson, Ken Cerniglia, and Scott Anderson Morris, “The Snow Maiden” by Andrew Haile Austin and “Kept” by Kristin Kuster and Megan Levad. He’s also a frequent collaborator of the Chamber Music Society of Virginia, The Virginia Chorale, and the Virginia Arts Festival.
Mr. Smith is a strong believer in the importance of music education, and in addition to his work with the Education Department at Virginia Rep, he maintains an active private studio comprised of flute, percussion, piano, and voice students. He has also focused on collegiate education, providing musical direction and teaching courses in musicianship for Virginia Commonwealth University, The College of William and Mary, and University of Richmond.
Anthony resides in Richmond with his husband, fiber artist Michael-Birch Pierce, and their three dogs: Aurora, Bracket, and Gypsy.
- Off Broadway
- D.C./Baltimore Area
- Theatrical Composer (Music only)
- Music Director/Conductor (Pianist)
- Music Director/Conductor (Not Pianist)
- Vocal Director and/or Choral Prep
- Music Assistant
- Vocal Arranger
- Incidental Music Composer/Arranger
- Music Copyist
- Pit Musician (Keyboards)
- Pit Musician (Other)
- Keyboard Programmer
- Audition Pianist
- Class/Voice Lesson/Rehearsal Pianist
- Voice teacher with roster of private students
- Classroom music teacher at an educational institution
My Primary Instrument
- Synth - keyboards
- THE AMERICAN FEDERATION OF MUSICIANS (AFM)
- NATIONAL ASSOCIATION OF TEACHERS OF SINGING (NATS)